At Walker Labs, we are looking for a Technical Director to help craft Walker World, a vast interoperable and innovative game experience — where exploration, competition, ownership and community-driven gameplay takes place. Powered by Unreal Engine 5 and blockchain technology, this is an exciting opportunity to help us put a full game team together — and to help shape a new industry. We are creating a game that players love and that we can be proud of. We want to set an example for how games are made in this space, and that means our highest priority is to create an amazing game experience where players come together to have fun first and foremost — and then find innovative and fair ways of sharing revenue among all participants in the ecosystem — including our players.
About the role
The Technical Director will partner closely with the rest of the core leadership team and other team members to rapidly prototype and iterate towards the game vision. You’ll start as an individual core contributor, writing code, building tools, defining workflows and asset pathways, to quickly achieve a gameplay prototype that delivers conviction around the game concept. It will then grow into an engineering leadership role on a full game team, to launch and support the game.
The ideal candidate should be excited about rolling up their sleeves and having a direct hand in creating the game, as well as building a strong, empowered engineering team. They should have game prototyping experience and have well-developed gameplay and design sensibilities. They are able to implement in the short term and bring industry-leading technical expertise as the product matures, looking forward to larger engineering, architecture and technology selection.
- Establish and own the technical strategy for the game, balancing risks and rewards to ensure the final project is not only fantastic, but also feasible.
- Distill game vision into core game features, prototype, implement and iterate Implement new features within Unreal Engine and extend existing functionality
- Integrate key third party plugins and tools into Unreal Engine workflows
- Able to work across disciplines with minimum process to organize work and create predictability in an unpredictable space.
- Hire, build and manage this small, senior, multi-discipline team and ensure team focus and health
We would love if you have
- 10+ years of experience shipping multiple AAA games
- Experience supporting a live service game, from development planning to delivery of content and features post-launch
- Experience prototyping and/or shipping one or more titles as a Technical Director or Lead Engineer, splitting time hands-on and supporting people as a manager, with a focus on excellent player experience
- Deep experience with first and/or third-person shooters
- Exceptional communication, cross-discipline collaboration, and leadership skills
- Extensive experience with Unreal Engine
- Passion for incubating, building, and shipping video games
Why join us?
At Walker Labs, we put value in our team. We offer very competitive salaries, encourage collaboration and entrust our employees with creative agency and ownership. We also pride ourselves in having a healthy work-life balance, and offer flexibility with family commitments and other personal matters where possible. We invite you to join our team to boldly lead us into uncharted territory and bring new experiences to gamers.
Walker Labs is committed to inclusion and diversity. We ensure we give equal opportunities to all of our employees and provide a safe workplace where everyone is valued and heard — without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or other characteristics. Please apply with confidence to [email protected]. We can’t wait to hear from you!